Go Back   Talk Root - PC Hardware, Software and Web Development forums > System Administration > Software > Office

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Alan Z. Scharf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Replacement for Office ShortCut Bar

Does anyone know of a replacment product similar to the ShortCut Bar that
was taken out of the new Office System 2003?

Thanks.

Alan

___________________________
Alan Z. Scharf
GrapeVine Systems
New York City


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Paul Ballou
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Replacement for Office ShortCut Bar

[url]http://www.pitrinec.com/pmeindex.htm[/url]
Perfect menu would be a good replacement for the office shortcut bar
--
Paul Ballou
MVP Design Gallery Live
[url]http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx[/url]

Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't
control.


"Alan Z. Scharf" <ascharf@grapevines.com> wrote in message
news:%23IdnNSuvDHA.540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Does anyone know of a replacment product similar to the ShortCut Bar that
> was taken out of the new Office System 2003?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alan
>
> ___________________________
> Alan Z. Scharf
> GrapeVine Systems
> New York City
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Replacement for Office ShortCut Bar

Hi Alan,

The Office Shortcut Bar (OSB/MSOffice.exe) was discontinued
by Microsoft after Office XP. Here are some approaches you
may want to consider

1. 3rd party products.

Paul mentioned a shareware tool that is available.
There are also what appear to be free 3rd party toolbars
that some folks say they like using.

a. JetAudio Toolbar.

Similar in use to the Office Shortcut Bar(OSB)
[url]http://jetaudio.com/products/jettoolbar[/url]

b. H-Menu, also similar to the OSB, but with more
features you can configure if you want to:
[url]http://h-menu.com/main_en.htm[/url]

c. Powerpro

Similar in appearance to the OSB and can autohide,
but with additional popup configuration choices and
some more detailed (techie?) optional features.
[url]http://windowspowerpro.com/xsamplebar.htm[/url]

d. Slickrun
While it doesn't look like the OSB it can be
a useful alternative once you're used to it.
For example you can type in 'Word' in the box
and it will launch Word, or you can type 'google'
and it launches your browser to the Google search page.
It can be locked in position on your desktop or it
can minimize to the system tray as an icon as well
as has a hotkey to pop it up.
[url]http://bayden.com/slickrun/[/url]

If you try or choose one of the above tools please
post back to let others know how you like it as an
OSB replacement.

2. Use Windows Built-In Toolbar Customization Features

a. You can use the Quicklaunch toolbar in
Windows and drag copies of your Office shortcuts
to it, or

b. Create a new Toolbar by right clicking
on a blank spot on the Windows Taskbar, unlocking it
and creating a new toolbar(folder) and drag the Office
or other shortcut icons to it. You can tear off that
toolbar and place it and size it as needed anywhere on
your desktop.

3. Use an Older version of the Office Shortcut Bar

If you have an older version of Office with the shortcut
bar and running MSOffice.exe from Start=>Run doesn't
start it, you can do a custom install of the old version
of Office and choose just the Shortcut bar. (Note that this
may put a great deal of the core old Office files back on
the PC if you've removed the older version). The OSB
should work, but will be 'as is' and doesn't support
things like high resolution icons. You may also be
prompted to install updates to the older Office version
when visiting [url]http://officeupdate.com[/url]

====
<<"Alan Z. Scharf" <ascharf@grapevines.com> wrote in message news:%23IdnNSuvDHA.540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Does anyone know of a replacment product similar to the ShortCut Bar that
was taken out of the new Office System 2003?

Thanks.

Alan >>
--
I hope this helps you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

The Office 2003 System parts explained
[url]http://microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.asp[/url]



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Alan Z. Scharf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Replacement for Office ShortCut Bar

Bob,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

I will check these out.

I really miss the OSB!

Regards,

Alan


"Bob Buckland ?:-)" <75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com> wrote
in message news:uVZO5wyvDHA.1740@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Alan,
>
> The Office Shortcut Bar (OSB/MSOffice.exe) was discontinued
> by Microsoft after Office XP. Here are some approaches you
> may want to consider
>
> 1. 3rd party products.
>
> Paul mentioned a shareware tool that is available.
> There are also what appear to be free 3rd party toolbars
> that some folks say they like using.
>
> a. JetAudio Toolbar.
>
> Similar in use to the Office Shortcut Bar(OSB)
> [url]http://jetaudio.com/products/jettoolbar[/url]
>
> b. H-Menu, also similar to the OSB, but with more
> features you can configure if you want to:
> [url]http://h-menu.com/main_en.htm[/url]
>
> c. Powerpro
>
> Similar in appearance to the OSB and can autohide,
> but with additional popup configuration choices and
> some more detailed (techie?) optional features.
> [url]http://windowspowerpro.com/xsamplebar.htm[/url]
>
> d. Slickrun
> While it doesn't look like the OSB it can be
> a useful alternative once you're used to it.
> For example you can type in 'Word' in the box
> and it will launch Word, or you can type 'google'
> and it launches your browser to the Google search page.
> It can be locked in position on your desktop or it
> can minimize to the system tray as an icon as well
> as has a hotkey to pop it up.
> [url]http://bayden.com/slickrun/[/url]
>
> If you try or choose one of the above tools please
> post back to let others know how you like it as an
> OSB replacement.
>
> 2. Use Windows Built-In Toolbar Customization Features
>
> a. You can use the Quicklaunch toolbar in
> Windows and drag copies of your Office shortcuts
> to it, or
>
> b. Create a new Toolbar by right clicking
> on a blank spot on the Windows Taskbar, unlocking it
> and creating a new toolbar(folder) and drag the Office
> or other shortcut icons to it. You can tear off that
> toolbar and place it and size it as needed anywhere on
> your desktop.
>
> 3. Use an Older version of the Office Shortcut Bar
>
> If you have an older version of Office with the shortcut
> bar and running MSOffice.exe from Start=>Run doesn't
> start it, you can do a custom install of the old version
> of Office and choose just the Shortcut bar. (Note that this
> may put a great deal of the core old Office files back on
> the PC if you've removed the older version). The OSB
> should work, but will be 'as is' and doesn't support
> things like high resolution icons. You may also be
> prompted to install updates to the older Office version
> when visiting [url]http://officeupdate.com[/url]
>
> ====
> <<"Alan Z. Scharf" <ascharf@grapevines.com> wrote in message

news:%23IdnNSuvDHA.540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Does anyone know of a replacment product similar to the ShortCut Bar that
> was taken out of the new Office System 2003?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alan >>
> --
> I hope this helps you,
>
> Bob Buckland ?:-)
> MS Office System Products MVP
>
> *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*
>
> The Office 2003 System parts explained
> [url]http://microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.asp[/url]
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2003, 08:43 AM
Alan Z. Scharf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Replacement for Office ShortCut Bar



Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like they have some other useful products as well.

Regards,

Alan


"Paul Ballou" <A26milerunner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:#5q0uNvvDHA.3116@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [url]http://www.pitrinec.com/pmeindex.htm[/url]
> Perfect menu would be a good replacement for the office shortcut bar
> --
> Paul Ballou
> MVP Design Gallery Live
> [url]http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx[/url]
>
> Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't
> control.
>
>
> "Alan Z. Scharf" <ascharf@grapevines.com> wrote in message
> news:%23IdnNSuvDHA.540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Does anyone know of a replacment product similar to the ShortCut Bar

that
> > was taken out of the new Office System 2003?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > ___________________________
> > Alan Z. Scharf
> > GrapeVine Systems
> > New York City
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Sponsored Links


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0 (Unregistered)
© 2013 TalkRoot.com